Controlling Information Density in Discourse Generation
Project A7 aims to develop a system which generates effective technical instruction videos for the computer game “Minecraft”. This system will implement a rational speaker who trades off communicative success (being understood by the listener) against succinctness, in particular with respect to the listener’s domain knowledge and the division of labor between language and video.
To find near-optimal communicative choice efficiently enough for interactive use, the project will advance heuristic search methods within and across the generation of individual sentences.
Keywords: discourse generation
Other Area-A Projects
- Neurobehavioural Correlates of Surprisal in Online Comprehension A1
- Modelling the Information Density of Event Sequences in Texts A3
- Language Comprehension in a Noisy Channel to Changing Situations and Individual Users A4
- The Role of Language Experience and Visual Context in Surprisal A5
- The Role of Semantic Surprisal for Memory Formation and Retrieval A6